By Karen O’Connor:
Have you considered finding God in humor? If not, give it a try. I believe God wants us to be full of joy and laughter and to give up fretting and worrying.
You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands (Isaiah 55:12, NIV Bible).
By sharing a smile with others, you’ll honor God and bring encouragement and hope to yourself as well.
Five Ways to Nurture Your Sense of Humor
1. Share a funny or embarrassing moment with someone you know, and enjoy it together. My friend Melissa called to say she sprayed her hair with furniture polish. “It fell flat but had a nice shine!”
2. Laugh at yourself even when you feel like crying. I thought I’d misplaced my cell phone only to discover I was using it right then to speak with my neighbor. Oh my!
3. Cheer up sick friends with a book of humorous stories or jokes. Help them discover that as Will Rogers said, “Laughter is the best medicine.”
4. Find humor even in serious situations. A woman whose hair was growing in after chemo treatments said her husband Dan helped her laugh everyday. “We had a short-haired dog at the time so when my hair started coming in, he clapped me on the back and said, ‘Great. Now I have a short-haired wife too!’ I liked my new look so well, I never let my hair grow long again.”
5. Make a list of scripture verses that encourage laughter and tack them up on your mirror or bulletin board to review each day. Here are a few.
“Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy” (Psalm 126:2).
“A happy heart makes the face cheerful . . .” (Proverbs 15:13).
“Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh” (Luke 6:21).
Finding God in humor is easy once you look for Him there. Enjoy this YouTube video from Mars Hill Church, “Was Jesus Funny?”
©Karen O’Connor. Karen is an author, writing mentor, and frequent contributor to the Finding God Daily blog. Visit Karen on the web at www.karenoconnor.com