By Janet Holm McHenry:
Feeling the need for assurance of God’s love for you today? You can find it in the Bible, His love letter to you.
Yesterday was my husband’s and my thirty-ninth anniversary. I had hoped we would have a day together visiting nearby Lake Tahoe — maybe take a tram ride, go for a mountaintop hike, have a quiet dinner together.
Cattle had to be fed. Fences had to be built. Equipment had to be repaired.
It was okay, I kept telling myself. I didn’t expect or even want gifts — just an “I love you — happy anniversary!” would do.
Not — that didn’t happen either.
But that was okay, too. After thirty-nine years you learn that there are ebbs and flows to marriage, and you give one another grace, not a load of expectations.
However, I awoke today feeling less than great about myself. I couldn’t put a finger on anything in particular — I just felt down.
As God would have it, the pastor’s sermon was just for me. And there was a bonus today, a card for each of us titled “I Am Secure in Christ” that even had a real gold star on it.
It also contained the following affirmations that we all can claim as children of God. I thought I would share them with you.
Need encouragement? Find it in the Bible:
- God loved me and chose me in Christ even before He made the world (Ephesians 1:4-5).
- I am free from condemnation (Romans 8:1-2).
- I am free from any condemnation brought against me and I cannot be separated from the love of God (Romans 8:31-39).
- Christ loved me and died for me when I was helpless and could do nothing (Romans 4:6-8).
- Salvation is a free gift from God that cannot be earned. (Ephesians 2:8-9).
- I am confident that God will complete His work in me (Philippians 1:6).
- God will never leave me (Hebrews 13:5).
- God loved me first and sent His Son to be the sacrifice for my sins (1 John 4:9-10).
- I am now a citizen of Heaven (Philippians 3:20).
- I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me (1 John 5:18).
- I am hidden with Christ in God (Colossians 3:1-4).
- I am right before God because of Jesus (2 Corinthians 5:21).
God’s love for me — and for you — is expressed all throughout his Word all over its pages. Sometimes we need those basic simple words — the ones we heard as children and the ones we may have even told our children . . . just like the song sung by the Gaithers, “Jesus Loves Me,” which I have linked for you below. Yes, finding God in his Word, the Bible, is even better than getting a gold star!
Janet McHenry is a national speaker and author of 19 books, including the best-selling PrayerWalk and Prayerstreaming. Her business name is Looking Up! because she encourages others to turn to Christ. An avid prayerwalker, Janet has been featured widely in magazines, including Health, Family Circle, and Today’s Christian Woman. You can find her through her website or blog: www.janetmchenry.com and janetmchenry.wordpress.com.